Thursday, August 21, 2008

1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Irwin, PA

Wow, what a difference 12 miles make. After my experience with the woman in West Mifflin, I was a little rattled as I arrived to the house in Irwin. After 5 weeks on the road I’m tired and another encounter like the one earlier in the day would have just sent me packing. Talk about a 180. After setting up, the homeowner came out an introduced himself and we chatted for a bit. He was interested in the project and my trip, which was a huge relief. Then after about 25 minutes he came back out and handed me a small pamphlet out Jesus and a $20 bill insisting I take it to help me out with gas or food. I repeatedly tried to give it back, but at some point you have to simply accept a stranger’s generosity. I gave him a Polaroid and thanked him. Two houses in two days and two very different experiences.

No comments: