Tuesday, July 22, 2008

1600 Pennsylvania Ave, McDonough, GA

Does it ruin it for you if I post a quick digital pic of the 1600? I was going to photograph the Polaroid, but they're in my glove compartment 4 floors down. I think this one will come out well. A little different looking building from the rest. Working with the view camera is a totally experience. I got up at 7am and just hit it. Got to the address and the light wasn't quite up yet, but with the view camera I could set up and get ready, unlike the Hasselblad where you're pretty much ready to go at all times. Did some tests and felt good. Then the light just dramatically changed. I quickly exposed a piece of film then the light went back to the way it was. You have to more fast to capture fleeting light with the view camera. By the time you expose a Polaroid and process it everything could be different. Still feeling like a fish out of the water with the Toyo, but it will come. Popped off a few with Hasselblad just in case.





I want to write a little bit about the feeling when I get close to the address. I'm using a GPS navigation thing, without it I'm not sure how the project could be done, and when I get close and can see the final destination on the screen of the GPS I get that pang in my stomach. It's so exciting making that final turn onto Pennsylvania Avenue, not knowing what I'll find, that small possibility that it won't be there at all. It's just so exhilarating once I finally come upon it.

No comments: